Rapid implementation of NOA function in urban areas by car companies Intelligent driving is gradually reaching a turning point
Car companies are quickly implementing intelligent driving features in urban areas, marking a significant development in the industry
【Phoneauto News】In recent years, with the development of technology and the continuous improvement of chip computing power, the popularity of NOA (Automatic Assisted Navigation) has been increasing. Three new forces in the automobile industry, including “Weixiaoli,” have also launched their own NOA technology. As more and more car companies gradually implement their NOA projects, many institutions have dubbed 2023 as the “Urban NOA Year”.
Nowadays, NOA has become an important selling point for new automakers. In order to highlight the value of vehicles, many vehicles are equipped with advanced intelligent assisted driving systems. Even if some functions are not yet officially available, car companies still need to equip hardware such as lidar and high-performance chips, and activate them through later OTA upgrades. Before 2023, NOA was mainly used in high-speed scenarios, also known as high-speed navigation assistance, which can achieve functions such as active lane changing, automatic on/off ramp, merging assistance, and automatic speed adjustment, greatly reducing the fatigue of drivers during high-speed driving.
- Has the Korean car industry really taken off? Korean automotive exports surged nearly 50% in the first half of the year
- Mazda applies for six rotary engine patents in Japan, possibly for use in new sports car models
- Poaching from big corporations? Former CEO of Porsche North America may join Rivian
However, currently, some new automakers have achieved high availability of NOA in high-speed scenarios, so car companies have unanimously expanded the use of NOA to urban areas. Compared with high-speed scenarios, urban road conditions are more complex, with more intersections, complex lanes, as well as non-motorized vehicles and pedestrians, so the requirements for NOA have become higher.
Xiaopeng is the first domestic car company to implement urban NOA. In October 2022, Xiaopeng P5 already supported urban navigation assistance in Guangzhou, but at that time, it only developed urban main roads and required the support of high-precision maps. On March 31st this year, Xiaopeng released the latest Xmart OS 4.2.0 version, and opened XNGP Phase 1 capabilities for G9 and P7i Max versions, supporting urban NGP in three cities: Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou.
The Wanjie, backed by Huawei, unveiled the M5 series advanced intelligent driving edition during this year’s Shanghai Auto Show, and it is the first to be equipped with the HUAWEI ADS 2.0 system. According to the official plan, NCA (No-Chart Assisted Driving) will be opened in cities such as Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, and Hangzhou in the second quarter of this year. In the third and fourth quarters, it will be implemented for commercial assisted driving in 15 and 45 cities nationwide, respectively. Avita, which also adopts the Huawei HI intelligent driving solution, began offering NCA user test drives in Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Chongqing in March.
Market insiders point out that the intelligent driving industry follows a “spiral rise, wave-like progress” development path. By 2023, Tesla’s FSD turning point will emerge, urban NOA (Navigate on Autopilot) will accelerate landing, and policies and regulations will gradually improve. The intelligent driving industry is gradually approaching three turning points: technology, regulations, and user acceptance.
- Ideal re-applies for L series models, production locations are all changed to Beijing Shunyi factory
- Nezha GT’s first OTA upgrade comprehensively optimized 54 functions
- Mazda will launch an electric vehicle-specific platform in 2027
- BYD enters the Brunei market for the first time, with the first model being the ATTO 3
- Will the M7 Smart Driving Edition from Wanjie be able to change consumers’ impressions?
- Siles announces performance expected net profit for the first half of the year to narrow losses by 20%-28% year-on-year
- Geely Galaxy L6 interior official image released, set to be launched in the third quarter with a price range between 150,000 to 200,000 yuan