The European Union and Apple are in court! They demand the payment of $143 billion in taxes
EU and Apple demand payment of $143B in taxes in court
【PhoneAuto News】On May 23, according to reports, the European Union’s antitrust regulatory agency, the European Commission, appealed to Apple to continue to pay the Irish side 13 billion euros (approximately 14.3 billion U.S. dollars) in taxes.
Originally, in August 2016, the European Commission ruled that Apple had illegally evaded 13 billion euros in taxes in Ireland. Apple was dissatisfied with the ruling and filed an appeal. In July 2020, Apple won the case.
Today, the two sides returned to court. Paul-John Loewe, a lawyer for the European Commission, believes that the previous ruling of the European Court of Justice had legal flaws and should be set aside. “The outcome of the case will determine whether member states can continue to give multinational companies significant tax cuts in exchange for employment and investment.”
- The iQOO Neo8 series has been officially released! Starting at 2299 yuan, it features the first MediaTek Dimensity 9200+ processor
- Will we see the Honor Magic V2 in July? This new product may be the thinnest and lightest foldable phone with a large screen this year
- The true self 618 has the highest direct discount of 800 yuan! Double new products + five major ace is coming on strong
Apple refuted the European Commission’s claim, stating that it has paid a fair share of taxes in Ireland. Apple’s representative lawyer, Daniel Beard, said: “The profits we mentioned, which the European Commission claimed should belong to Apple’s Irish branch, are actually regulated by the US tax system.” “Apple has set up reserves to pay these taxes in the United States and is currently paying about 20 billion euros in taxes for these profits in the United States. The European Commission believes that these profits should be taxed in Ireland. In fact, Apple has already paid the taxes payable under Irish tax laws.”
Although the European Union and Apple are not in the same category, their conflicts involve various aspects. Recently, the European Union warned Apple that if it restricts the charging speed of third-party accessories, it will ban the sale of Apple phones in the European Union.
- What charm does audio in space have in the eyes of independent musicians?
- OPPO Reno10 series will be released tomorrow We have gathered the most complete official specifications for you
- OnePlus 11 has the highest discount of 400 yuan! The OnePlus 618 flagship promotion storm is about to begin
- The OPPO Reno10 series is coming soon! This set of lightweight flagship has a stable configuration
- Xiaomi Mi 14 rendering exposed! The border effect is amazing and the rear camera module is this long
- Cook ecstatic as Apple captures nearly half of the secondhand mobile phone market in 2022, coming in second
- JD takes a hard hit! Redmi K60 1TB version just announced a price cut of 200, now available for 2899