Volkswagen Beetle electric car revival excluded by CEO Retro is a dead end
CEO Retro excludes Volkswagen Beetle electric car revival, deeming it a dead end
【PhoneAuto News】Volkswagen Beetle is one of the oldest brands in this German company and even in the world, but it will not be “revived” as part of the brand’s future electrification strategy.
This news comes from Volkswagen’s CEO Thomas Schafer, who gave an interview to the British magazine “Car” after a digital rendering of what appears to be a modern version of the Beetle appeared online. When asked about reviving certain models from the company’s past by relying on nostalgia, Schafer said it would be “a dead end.”
“Obviously, we have many names in our history, but I would say there are only a few that are truly iconic and global. There are some typical models like Golf, Tiguan, etc. Would you choose Scirocco or Arteon? Probably not. This is part of the naming concept we are currently finalizing.”
- Wuling New Energy Ling Shi Golden Card officially launched, priced at 89,800-938,000 yuan
- Starting at approximately 370,000 yuan, the BMW X1 M35i xDrive makes its debut with the iDrive 9 system
- Volvo will adopt Tesla’s NACS charging sockets in North America starting from 2025
Regarding the return of the Beetle, Schafer said its days are over and it’s time to continue launching models that have achieved great success in recent years.
“I can’t say for sure. But from my current position, I wouldn’t consider it,” Schafer said. “It’s like Scirocco: it had its heyday and then appeared with new models based on reinterpretation. Do it again? I don’t think so. In order to balance all these technologies and the associated costs, you have to invest money in the right places.”
That being said, Volkswagen’s all-new ID.Buzz pays tribute to the company’s iconic Type 2 microbus from the 1950s and 1960s, but according to the company’s CEO, this does not mean that the company wants to continue on a similar path of revival.
On the contrary, the future of electric vehicles for the masses may include the Golf and GTI, as well as the all-new next-generation Touareg. The ID.7 is set to replace the outdated Passat, while the upcoming affordable ID.2 can replace the company’s current Polo series.
- The flagship SUV ES8 from NIO will start deliveries today with a starting price of 498,000 yuan
- SAIC Volkswagen Touareg 300TSI is now on the market with upgraded power and a starting price of 149,900 yuan
- Does haste makes waste? BMW XM crashed while creating the fastest SUV record on Pikes Peak
- Car companies continue to change their logos! Opel releases a brand new lightning logo to be used starting in 2024
- Changan Qiyuan A07 official images released Both exterior and interior are complete Is it targeting the BYD Han?
- Changan Qiyuan A07 official image exposure A new choice for medium and large pure electric sedans?
- Fiat announced that it will no longer offer gray car paint in the future, but the reason behind it is both laughable and tear-jerking