Ford CEO It is difficult to make a profit from electric cars with long battery life The cost of large batteries is too high
Ford CEO High battery costs make it hard to profit from electric cars with long battery life
【PhoneAuto News】The range is one of the most important areas of competition in the electric vehicle industry. The recently released 2025 Ram 1500 REV, which has a range of 500 miles (804 kilometers), set a new record for the model. However, in the opinion of Ford CEO Jim Farley, a range of 600 miles (965 kilometers) may be a huge hurdle, and he expressed doubts about whether electric vehicles with such a long range can be profitable.
Ford CEO Jim Farley
At Ford’s Capital Market Day earlier this week, Farley criticized the current trend of blindly pursuing a long range for electric vehicles. He expressed doubts about whether manufacturers who make larger batteries to achieve the highest range will perform well in the market, and bluntly stated that Ford will not participate in this game of pursuing the maximum range.
- There is a risk of engine fire, and Hyundai is recalling approximately 55,000 vehicles domestically
- He Xiaopeng Xiaopeng’s first MPV model is named X9 and is aimed at a young audience
- Providing Multiple Power Options Spy Shots of the All-New Toyota C-HR Test Expose, Expected to be Released Before the End of the Year
Farley said: “I don’t know what’s going on in this industry right now. What I’ve heard is a lot of news about models with ranges of 450 miles and 500 miles, and even a large SUV with three rows of seats will have an ultra-long range. If you use that kind of large battery, you won’t make money.” He went on to say: “Ford will not make vehicles with a range of more than 600 miles. We will try to reduce the size of the battery as much as possible to bring a more competitive price.”
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Farley’s views may be influenced by the economy of lithium-ion batteries and the relationship between batteries and range. Although battery prices have always been relatively expensive, as the range increases, the added weight of the battery may have a negative effect on future range improvements and may even cause a vicious cycle, making it not worth it. However, with the introduction of solid-state batteries in the future, Ford’s view may change. However, the commercial use of solid-state batteries may have to wait five or six years.
- There is a safety hazard! Mercedes-Benz recalls 1161 imported S-Class cars
- Beijing household new energy small passenger car quota allocation results announced, more than 50,000 households qualified
- Lexus releases another teaser image of the new generation GX, which will officially debut on June 9th
- FF 91 has passed the FMVSS crash test, and the first phase of delivery is about to begin
- 2023 Honda Lingpai officially launched, fuel consumption as low as 592L, starting at 119,800 yuan
- 999 million vehicles! In April, the sales volume of Chinese brand passenger cars increased by 814% year-on-year
- Headline! Ford CEO says Tesla is not the biggest competitor, BYD is